วันอังคารที่ 25 สิงหาคม พ.ศ. 2552

Last words for P, our dear friend

I feel obligated to write something about our beloved friend who recently passed away, P.

I feel the need to write something about him although my head is actually blank.

Maybe, this is what death left for you: the void.

I was completely shocked by the news of his death. No, I’m not that close with him, and yet, I must admit, he’s a good friend and will always be. Perhaps, I was shocked because his death reminds me of how we take lives for granted. Because we are young (more or less), we don’t really expect the arrival of death.

Possibly, this is a result of someone’s death: you’re somehow bitterly enlightened that nothing can be taken for granted.

I remember P the best in our freshmen year at Rangsit campus. There were times me, Tung, Pim, Chu, Some, P, and Nest dined together. There were moments we enthusiastically participated in some silly freshmen year activities. And of course, I always had a fight with P, verbally and physically (well, as you guys know me, he’s not the only male friend I had a fight with…).

I remember there were times I had an emotional breakdown and P was there. He did nothing, but expressing his weird consoling words or just wandering around, feeling awkward not knowing what to do. Yet, I appreciated him for that. I remember him for that moment.

P had his own way to communicate with friends and frequently showing his weird gestures. These always made me feel a little strange when talking to him. Nevertheless, because of his honesty, I can’t deny the fact that he’s one of our dearest friends.

After learning about his death, I discovered that I had a picture of the graduation day that I took with him. The picture probably popped up in my computer screen so many times before, but I’d never made an effort to notice it until he passed away. Seeing the picture gave me some bizarre feelings. I couldn’t cry for his forever departure, and yet, it’s hard not to be emotionally overwhelmed.

Life is a paradox. Everyone knows death comes sooner or later. However, when it really comes, you struggle to deal with it. Buddhism routinely teaches you about detachment. Nonetheless, when someone in your circle is eternally gone, you have a hard time coping with it. As an activist working in a conflict area where lives are taken daily, you believe death is, but the Truth. Still, when it comes to someone you know, you lie to yourself such a truth is not true.

Probably, this is what death reveals to you: paradox.

1 ความคิดเห็น:

  1. We've never known when it's come,for death.But everytimes we have seen or we have heard about death,we were signaled how true is it.
    The most significant of death is what we've told that we can prepare ourself for death not only for our life but also for our beloved people.Life is chageable and someone has always come and gone as well as we have been.

    ตอบลบ